The government has provided additional funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14 to 2016/17 this has been to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – will be allocated to primary school.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
For the financial year 2016/17 Lanercost Primary School have received £8,255 this has been used to:
• Employ specialist coaches to provide high quality PE teachings and enhance teachers’ professional development in a wide range of sports including gymnastics, football, cricket, forest schools and fencing.
• To purchase new equipment.
• Enhance swimming provision so that 100% of children pass the KS2 swimming standard
• Inclusion in the William Howard ‘Primary Sports and Outreach Programs’
• Transport to sporting events
• Enhance extra-curricular activities – Football, cross-country, forest schools, netball, bouldering, cricket, green bowling and rowing.
This year, our successes have included:- 1st in the county finals of the Key Steps gymnastics competition, 1st in the Novice County gymnastics, 1st in the Carlisle and Eden Bouldering competition both boys and girls, winning medals in local schools' swimming gala, winning the green bowling competition.